Sunday, August 2, 2015

Antique Colander Lamp Shade

I haven't posted a DIY project in a long time, but I promise I have been busy doing them!

Today, I would like to introduce you to our new kitchen light. I made it out of an antique colander that I purchased from eBay.


I don't really have a good tutorial for this one because well, the story behind it is a bit rocky. Here's what happened:

I have my heart set on a country-inspired eclectic kitchen. By "country-inspired eclectic" I mean mostly rustic meets rockabilly meets french farmhouse meets kitschy whimsy. For example, I dislike roosters but I love scrollwork and vintage signs. But I digress.

Ever since seeing this and this, I have been in love with the idea of a colander pendant light over my sink. I needed it to happen.

So I search my trusty eBay for the perfect antique colander. I love antiques. They have so much more character than perfect newly-minted items.

When I ran the idea past my dad, Mr. Fixit himself, he was doubtful. He could not think of a way to drill a hole through the porcelain and metal large enough to accommodate the light socket, mostly because of the awkwardly perforated punch-outs that a hole drill's teeth would get stuck on.

So he handed the colander back to me and told me it was a bad idea.

But nobody tells me I can't do it when I have my heart set on a project.

So do you want to know how I made the hole? With a sharp kitchen knife and my guns. No, not the bang-bang kind. The welcome-to-the-gun-show kind.


I stayed up late one night and basically willed that sucker into being. I used the point of the knife to widen the perforated holes until I could connect a few of them to form a hole wide enough for the light socket to slip through.

The knife is ruined, by the way.

But I have a really cool kitchen light now. :)


My favorite thing about it is the neat little patterns it makes on the walls and ceiling when it is lit. 


The lightbulb I used is an Edison bulb from Amazon. I purchased the black pendant light kit from Home Depot a few years ago.

Now onto my next DIY light project! A hanging bell-jar light! But that is for a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment