Thursday, May 15, 2014

Snowy Day Beef Stew

Snowy Day Beef Stew? Uh, Julie, don't you know it's May?

Well, I don't know where you live, but here in Wisconsin, it has been absolutely frigid out there this spring. I made this stew a couple of weeks ago, and I will make it again next week if it doesn't warm up.

There's something about a wet, slightly-above-freezing cold that just chills me to the bone. I would rather deal with a well-below freezing cold than the damp, clingy cold that just settles into your muscles. I know that I sound like I'm 90. I'm not. I'm 37.

But I digress.

This hearty beef stew is perfect for warming up everyone's insides. It requires a bit of prep work (cutting and dicing and all), but it freezes well and doesn't require any extra sides (although I do like to pair it with a freshly-baked pumpkin yeast bread, which I will share another day on my blog).

So, may I present to you my version of the Snowy Day Beef Stew?



Ingredients
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 lb. red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters
2 to 2.25 lbs. lean boneless beef round, trimmed of fat and cut into cubes
2 tsp. dry thyme
1/4 cup beef broth
2 medium carrots cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1/4 cup flour
1 (14.5 oz.) can of stewed tomatoes
1 (10 oz.) package frozen peas, thawed
Lawry's Seasoned Salt

Directions
Combine onion, carrots, and potatoes in slow cooker. 
Coat beef cubes with four. An easy way to do this is to pour the flour into a gallon Ziploc bag, add the beef cubes, seal it, and carefully shake it until all the cubes are coated.
Add the flour-coated cubes to the slow cooker and sprinkle with thyme.
Add tomatoes and broth to the slow cooker. 
Cover and cook at low until beef is very tender (8-10 hrs.). 
Stir in peas. Increase heat to high. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes until peas are heated.
Season with Lawry's Seasoned Salt to taste.

Serves 6-8

So how is my version different than all the other versions online? First of all, I omit the mushrooms. We have allergies in our family, so mushrooms are a no-go. Second, I find that Lawry's gives it a little extra kick rather than using regular salt. So there you go. The next time you find yourself chilled through and through, consider making this dinner to warm yourself up. You'll be glad you did.


6 comments:

  1. It looks delicious! honestly, it does not matter what the weather is, I can eat stews all year around. And you did not even get me started on soups yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, would eat stew all year! That looks simple and yummy, I am pinning:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How yummy ... i was raised in Russia and the main dishes there is a meat and potatoes....so this is my comfort food always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so comforting but better than that, it looks easy to prepare and you can do it while you're watching a movie on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum I can not wait to try this. Here in FL thought,it will have to wait until December, lol

    ReplyDelete