Saturday, March 29, 2014

Little Girl's Sweater Dress

This post is about a sweater dress that I made for Little Love some years ago. However, people still ask me for the pattern that I used, so I thought I'd post it here. Today I present to you the Austen Sweater Dress by Sarah Barbour.

everydaysundry.blogspot.com

The original pattern was published in the Yarn Forward magazine, issue number 31, December 2010. Here is the link to Barbour's Ravelry information about the pattern.

I used Pound of Love yarn by Lion Brand to complete this project. Pound of Love is a little stiff to work with, but once washed, it is snuggly soft and drapes nicely.

This sweater dress features stockinette stitch bottom and sleeves, ray of honey stitch top, yarn overs and a picot cast on/off for the trim. The button band consists of a garter stitch with yarn overs. The flower buttons were purchased from JoAnn's. 

everydaysundry.blogspot.com
Picot Sleeve Detail


The pieces of this sweater are knitted separately and then sewn together. The sleeves are knitted from the top down, so it is easy to adjust the length.

everydaysundry.blogspot.com

I found the original pattern to be pretty true to the finished product, with very few mistakes in the writing. However, one major recommendation: instead of knitting the collar a separate piece, assemble the rest of the sweater, and then pick up and knit the collar so there isn't a bulky seam right next to the neck.

This is one of Little Love's favorite things to wear. Also, because it is a longer sweater, it has actually lasted her for three years without her outgrowing it! The first year, it fit like a dress. This year, it fit more like a long cardigan with 3/4 sleeves. I'm certain by next year it will no longer fit, but she definitely has gotten use out of it!

Thanks for visiting!


6 comments:

  1. That is very cute, and I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable! It's great that it lasted so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love people who can do this ... I have no talent when it comes to knitting, sewing or crocheting. This is such a pretty color! Visiting from All About Blogspot~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sweet! I am always so jealous of folks who can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete