Saturday, March 1, 2014

Everyday Sundry


sun·dry

ˈsəndrē/adjective

1. of various kinds; several.

"lemon rind and sundry herbs"

noun

1. various items not important enough to be mentioned individually.

"a drugstore selling magazines, newspapers, and sundries"

Sundry describes my life.  It mainly consists of various tasks, not important enough to be mentioned individually.  Such is the life of a typical stay-at-home mom.  Forever cleaning, folding laundry, putting away dishes, wiping noses, and other sundry tasks.  It's routine, it's dull, and it is tiresome.

That is, it was routine, dull and tiresome until I stumbled into this small, but game-changing truth:

God is in the sundries.

Now I am no longer waiting for my life to continue post-kids.  I am no longer waiting for something to happen.  It is happening.  God is here.  And because my life has slowed down since I left teaching, I am in a better position to see Him.  I  have the time to hear His whisper as I fold laundry, to heed the calling of the Holy Spirit as I "coincidentally" meet former acquaintances while running errands, time to teach a song of praise to my kids.

Now that I am finding Him just about everywhere, I realize that I am not in a "holding pattern" waiting for my life and career to continue once my kids are older.  He has important purposes and plans for me here and now. And because I am seeing God more and more in my daily life, I can better tolerate the unending sundry tasks.  How can anything truly be unimportant when God even hangs out among the dishes in the dishwasher?

Yeah, it can't, and it's not.

So what is the meaning behind "everyday sundry?"  It refers to everyday experiences. Everyday opportunities to meet the God of the universe. Everyday anticipation of the joy of being surprised by Him. Finding Him among the everyday sundries of life.

Feel free to chew on that for a bit.  Just don't be too surprised if one day you discover Him at work in the top rack of the dishwasher.



No comments:

Post a Comment