Wednesday, March 26, 2014

DIY Dryer Balls

Today I present to you something totally unoriginal. You can find tutorials on how to make these all over the internet. But hang in there - I have my own "twist" for making them!

Today's feature: DIY Dryer Balls

diy dryer balls

Dryer balls? Yes, I know - boring. However, they last for years and you don't have to buy any fabric softener if you have enough of these bouncing around in your dryer. I find that five is the right number for my dryer. In retail stores, you can find PVC versions of these for pretty cheap, or hand felted versions that cost an arm and a leg. I don't like heated plastics, especially PVC, rubbing against the clothing that we wear everyday. And I don't know about you, but with two kids, I need all the arms and legs I can get. Soooo I made my own.

Now, I'm not one to reinvent the wheel, so I will direct you to a very easy-to-follow tutorial over at diynatural.com. I followed the tutorial as stated, except I added a step.

Here's what I did: After step 5 (before putting them in the pantyhose) I needle-felted them to get rid of the ridges and make sure that they would not unravel. I used my Clover Felting Needle Tool to repeatedly stab each ball with a twist of the wrist. I would not encourage you to go out and buy one of these unless you plan on making a bunch of balls as Christmas presents or for craft fairs, but I do all sorts of fiber arts as a hobby, so I had one of these on hand.

www.everydaysundry.blogspot.com
The Clover Needle Tool
If you do plan on taking up needle felting, this tool is great for felting large areas. It also doubles as a stress-reliever. Repeatedly stabbing an object is therapeutic! 

But I digress...

Anyway, by needle felting before washing, you can ensure that your balls won't have any weird lumps or bumps (nice if you're giving them as a gift or selling them), and it also ensures that they won't unravel before they have a chance to felt completely. Usually you have to wash and dry these balls on high temperatures at least twice to get them to felt up firmly. By needle felting the balls before washing, I have found that I only had to wash them once.

diy dryer balls


So there you have it. Save yourself some drying time with each load and skip the fabric softener just by making these 100% wool dryer balls. They're worth the half-hour of work to make them!




10 comments:

  1. I still don't really understand the point of dryer balls - but I'm in Australia where the sun shines most days....I like your blog and I'm hoping to keep reading it.
    Found you in the Cast team blog blitz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned something new today. Thanks for sharing about dryer balls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wish I lived in a climate where the sun shines most days! I live in Wisconsin - the land of the eternal Winter. I love drying my laundry outside on the line in the short summer we have, but in winter, the dryer is constantly in use. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!
    Stopping by from All About Blogspot on Etsy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I'm marking this post so I can come back and go thru the tutorial one day... hopefully soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, very nice! I need them!!! Thanks for sharing.

    Stopping by from All About Blogspot on Etsy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great idea!!

    Stopping in from All About Blogspot on Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would make my husband try to do these.....my arthritic hands couldn't take it! Plus he currently is using foil balls in the dryer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually had some requests from my friends on Facebook that I start selling them in my Etsy store. If you check back in a week, I'll probably have some posted. :)

      Delete